- September 29, 2004 Pressed the Cabernet
Sauvignon & Zinfandel.
Pressed the Zin free run into 02-2 & 02-6 and the press into S05 and a
carboy. Pressed the Cab into 02-3, 04-1 & 04-2, and the Cab press
- September 23, 2004 Pressed the Malbec, Cabernet
Franc, & Merlot
into the 02-1 & 02-4 oak with the press in the S23 stainless.
Topped the stainless with N2.
- September 17, 2004 Inoculated all of the must with Leuconostoc
bacteria to start the Malolactic
- September 12, 2004 Inoculated the Cabernet
Sauvignon & Malbec with
- September 11, 2004 Crushed grapes from Hopland
- September 10, 2004 Crushed grapes from San Miguel
- 1.5 Tons of Zinfandel (birx of 28
and lots of raisins that went through the stemmer/crusher with the
- 0.4 Tons of Cabernet Franc
- 0.4 Tons of Merlot
- These grapes were quite warm!
- September 5, 2004 Bottling Merlot
- Bottled 89 cases of Merlot from the blending tank
- September 2, 2004 Pumped up
- Pumped all Merlot (except candida) into holding tank:
- Racked S05 Syrah that had some candida into 2002-01 & topped with
last of Syrah press juice from carboy and 1 gallon of Merlot.
- September 1, 2004 - Bottling Syrah
- Bottled 98 3/4 cases from the blending tank
- Cleaned up
- August 15, 2004 Clean and pump up
- Cleaned & disinfected mixing tank.
- Pumped all the Syrah into the holding tank: 2002-02, 2002-01, 2002-04,
- Cleaned the barrels and filled them with holding solution.
- Cleaned and oiled stemmer/crusher.
- Replaced o-rings in bottler.
- July 11, 2004 Racking
- S05 (Merlot had candida mycederma) into 2002-03
- S06 (Syrah) into 2002-01
- 2002-20 (Merlot) into S06
- 2002-06 (Syrah) into S05
- S23 (Syrah) into 2002-06
- 2002-04 (Merlot) into S23
- 2002-05 (Syrah) into 2002-02
- S21 (Syrah squeeze) into 2002-04
- S03 (Merlot squeeze) into 2002-05
- May 23, 2004 Topped up
- One carboy had "gone lumpy" so we dumped and cleaned it.
- Syrah coming along nicely, working through malolactic
- Merlot is still working on malolactic fermentation and has a
sulphorous nose. Need to move with air next time.
- April 18, 2004 - Moved Syrah from Oak to Stainless
- 2002-03 into S06
- 2002-01 into S05
- Put holding solution in 02-01 & 02-03
- March 7, 2004 - Topped up
- Turned out not to be a cleanup day after all...
- February 15, 2004 - Topped up
- February 8, 2004 - Topped up
- January 17, 2004 - 09:00-11:45. All were present except Jeff and Karl.
We racked the
Merlot and set up future sessions.
- 2002-1 into S23
- S05 into 2002-1
- 2002-2 into S05
- 2002-3 into S06
- 2002-4 into 2002-3
- Filled 2002-2 and 2002-4 with holding solution.
March 7th will be a cleanup day
with a dumpster rented for the big stuff. On March 14th we will rack
the Syrah again.
December 7, 2003 - Racked the Syrah:
- 2002-5 into S05 and 4 gallons in glass carboy.
- Topped up S05 with 2002-6.
- Pumped S21 (Syrah press) into 2002-5 (after cleaning it).
- Pumped 2002-6 into S21 (after cleaning it).
- Pumped S23 into 2002-6 (after cleaning it).
- Pumped S06 into 2002-6, 2002-5, S21, S03, & carboys.
- October 26, 2003 - Pumped the two oak barrels of Jackson (2002-2 and
2002-4) into the blending tank. Cleaned the barrels and then moved the
Merlot from the 40 gallon pail into 2002-2 and topped it up with 10 gallons
of press juice. Then we moved the Merlot that was in S05 into 2002-4
and topped it up with 5 gallons of press juice from S03 (with air).
- October 14, 2003 - Pressed the Syrah and Merlot, but didn't have enough
empty barrels to put all of the Merlot in. Kept it in sealed 40 gallon
plastic pails until we could get the last of the 2002 Pinot (Jackson) into
the blending tank.
- Free run Syrah went into 2002-5 & 2002-6 oak barrels and S23 and
S06 stainless barrels.
- Press Syrah went into S21.
- Free run Merlot went into S05 stainless and 2002-1 & 2002-3 oak
barrels (and one 40 gallon pail).
- Press Merlot went into S03.
- September 28, 2003 - Received two tons of Merlot and two tons of Syrah grapes
and ran them through the stemmer/crusher and into primary
- August 24, 2003 - Bottled 93 cases and 2 bottles from the blending
tank. Labeled boxes as Blend Two.
- August 10, 2003 - Pumped the makings of blend #2 into the blending tank
two oak barrels (2002-5 & 2002-6) of Central coast and one oak (2002-6)
and one stainless barrel (S03) of Beaujolais close from Anderson valley.
- August 3, 2003 - Bottled 95.5 cases from blending
tank. Everyone was in attendance and Jeff Teddleton assisted. We
used up the small nitrogen tank that we have and the larger tank that Karl
retrieved from his shop. We set aside the last 9 bottles because they
looked a little cloudy. Look at the pictures here.
During the very animated discussions after the bottling was done we consumed
4 of the cloudy bottles and came to the following conclusions:
- The name of this wine is Blend #1, a blend of Anderson valley
Beaujolais clone and central coast
- We agreed to not have a back label and to put 6 front labels on a
single 8.5x11 sheet of self adhesive paper.
- We will look into getting the domain www.dragoncrest.org,
so that this won't be on John's home web server.
We also discussed the next sessions for pumping into the blending tank
(August 10) and bottling (August 17).
Neil has set us up for a booth at the Santa Clara alumni wine festival (that
he started 20 years ago). There seemed to be a general
agreement. Robin said that there was going to be a wine festival in
the first week of October benefiting the Loma Prieta Education fund.
There seemed to be a general agreement for this event also.
- July 27, 2003 - Set up blending tank in Winery.
Pumped into blending tank:
- Barrel 92.1 (Central Coast)
- 2002 #3 (Central Coast)
- 2003 #6 (Beaujolais)
- S06 (Beaujolais)
- Racked S21 (Beaujolais) into 2002 #6 so it could progress through the
malolactic phase. Also pumped the sludge from S06 into 2002 #6 so
it could help the malolactic process.
- July 26, 2003 - Cleaned the holding tank with hydrogen peroxide.
- June 22, 2003 - Topped Off
- Notes on tasting:
- 2002 #1 (Beaujolais) Clean and tastes good.
- 2002 #5 (Central Coast) - Clean and tastes lighter than #1.
- 2002 #4 (Jackson) - Clean and tastes wonderful. Good body.
- 2002 #2 (Jackson) - Clean and tastes wonderful. Good body.
- 2002 #6 (Beaujolais) - A little hazelnut. Good taste.
- May 23, 2003 - Racked and topped up
- Moved S23 (Central Coast) to 2003 #3.
- Topped up 2003 #3 with press juice from S04.
- Topped up 2003 #5 with press juice from glass carboy.
- April 27. 2003 - Topping Up
- Siphoned out 1.75 gallons of press juice into all 6 oak barrels.
- March 30, 2003 - Topped Up & Tasted
- Notes on tasting:
- 2002 #04 (Jackson): Nice berry, spice, touch of wood.
- 2002 #02 (Jackson): Good but slightly more tannic and less fruit.
- 2002 #1 (Beaujolais): Lighter Raspberry nose & flavor.
Still some malolactic to go.
- 2002 #05 (Beaujolais): Light, raspberry, vanilla
- 2002 #06 (Beaujolais): Raspberry & Vanilla with a touch of
- 92.1 (Central Coast): Still needs to work. Tannic cedar &
- February 23, 2003 - Topped Up
- Pumped 3 gallons from S06 or Beaujolais/Jackson press juice into glass
carboy for ease of topping up next time.
- January 25, 2003 - Racking & Tasting
- Decanted for tasting:
- 1/2 gallon from 2002 #4 (Jackson)
- 1 gallon of Beaujolais from 2002 #6
- 1 gallon of central coast from 2002 #5
- Racked 2002 #4 (Jackson) into 2002 #2.
- Racked 2002 #3 (Jackson) into 2002 #4.
- Topped up 2002 #2 & #4 with Beaujolais/Jackson press juice.
- Put holding solution in 2002 #3 and F1 barrels.
- January 12, 2003 - Racking
- Racked S03 (Central Coast) into 2002 #5. Ready for bottling.
- Racked F1 (Central Coast) into S03. Ready for bottling.
- Racked S21 (Central coast) into 92.1.
- Racked 2002 #1 (Beaujolais) into S21.
- Racked S06 (Beaujolais press) into 2002 #1. Pumped with air.
- Racked 2002 #2 (Beaujolais) into S06. Acidic and Tannic
still. Pumped with air.
- Put 2002 #2 in holding solution.
- Put small amount of holding solution (approximately 2 gallons) into F1
and rotated the bung down.
- December 2, 2002 - Top off all barrels. Tastes great! Neil and
Jack delivered 50 cases of bottles.
- November 20,2002 - Racking the wine between oak and stainless.
- Racked 2002, # 3 (Central coast) into S21.
- Racked 2002, #4 into S23
- Racked 90.2 (Jackson) into 2002 #4.
- Racked A1 into 2002 #3
- Wines consumed:
- 2002 Navarro Pinot
- 1998 Sable Ridge Coupage a' Trois (Cab, Zin and Syrah)
- November 10, 2002 - Racking the wine between oak and stainless.
- 2002, Barrel #2 (Central coast) racked to S03 (stainless barrel #3).
- French #1 (Anderson Beaujolais) racked to 2002, Barrel #2
- 2002, Barrel #1 (Central coast) racked to French #1.
- 92.1 (Beaujolais) racked to 2002, Barrel #1 (Needs additional
- October 20, 2002 - Racking the Central
Coast Pinot from oak to stainless.
- October 11, 2002 - Pressing
the juice out of the Anderson Valley
- October 1 - 15, 2002 - Punch
down the crust of the Anderson
- September 30, 2002 - Inoculate
the Anderson Valley Pinot.
- September 29, 2002 -
- September 27, 2002 - Pressing
the juice out of the Central Coast
- September 19-26, 2002 - Punch
down the crust of the Central Coast
- September 15, 2002 - Inoculate
Central Coast Pinot.
- September 14, 2002 - Crush Central